Before I divulge into this recipe, I’d like to take a moment. Thank you to all my followers for joining along on this crazy journey we call life and finding the in-betweens with me! I truly appreciate it. I’m excited to share that, I’ve set up another way (in the sidebar under the Author) to follow along with email updates every time there is a post!
Now – for the cupcakes.
Whenever I have cake, I always eat the icing last. It’s the best part. My dad would always trick me and steal a piece of my icing. He was also the one who taught me to bake. He was always trying and experimenting with new flavors. One year, he made me a cherry cake with cherry icing for my birthday – delicious. I enjoyed watching him and helping him work around the kitchen. He even let me in on his secret to his icing (which keep reading and I eventually share it too). He passed away ten years ago. I turned to baking to help work through my grief. I was baking cupcakes, cakes, brownies etc. once a week or every two weeks for about a year.
About two years ago for a Labor Day barbecue, I wanted to make a dessert that would be light and refreshing. Blueberries were in season and lemons always add a nice sweetness, it was the perfect storm. With that I decided to make Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Icing. Since the SuperBowl (Eagles – me | Patriots – Peter) is this weekend and my cousin is hosting, I offered to make dessert. She’s been requesting these cupcakes for quite some time and I just kept pushing it off – till now.
Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Icing |
- To save time on this – I will admit, I cheated and used the boxed cake mix. I used Betty Crocker Super Moist – White and followed the directions on the box to make twenty-four cupcakes.
- Once the cake mix is all together and mixed up – add a (1) cup of fresh blueberries (add more if needed) and gently fold those in.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let them cool for about an hour or so. This is important because putting icing on warm cupcakes never works.
Once the cupcakes are cool…
I never take the easy way out when it comes to icing. Here’s my recipe:
- 3 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter (yes the whole stick *this is the secret*) at room temperature
- 3-4 tablespoons of milk (add more as needed – never to much or it will be too wet)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
*This is also my base recipe for vanilla icing.
Mix those ingredients together until butter is no longer chunky – adding more milk can help with this. Then slowly mix in the lemon juice.
- 1 fresh lemon, for juice – add until desired flavor is reached.
- 1 fresh lemon for zest.
Add a little lemon zest into already mixed icing to help bring more lemon flavor in if desired. Top the cupcakes with lemon zest and blueberries. Chill until they are ready to be served. Enjoy!
Feel free to use this recipe as it is or as a starting point. Experimenting with flavors is always an adventure for your taste buds!